Pricing updated 2019-07-17. Prices are subject to change without notice.
Phloroglucinol is a naturally occurring phenol that exhibits diverse biological activities.1 Phloroglucinol protects V79-4 Chinese hamster lung fibroblast cells from oxidative stress and inhibits lipid peroxidation by scavenging reactive oxygen species (ROS).2 It induces apoptosis in HT-29 human colon cancer cells and inhibits metastasis of BT549 and MDA-MB-231 human breast cancer cells.3,4 Phloroglucinol protects primary neurons from β-amyloid-induced dendritic spine loss in vitro and shortens the latency to find the platform in a Morris water maze test in an Alzheimer’s disease (AD) mouse model.5 Phloroglucinol has been used to stain histological plant sections and in the synthesis of numerous natural products.6,7,8 Phloroglucinol slows the frequency and decreases the amplitude of contraction in isolated rabbit and rat intestine at a concentration of 100 and 1 μM, respectively.9 Formulations containing phloroglucinol have been used as antispasmodics.10,11
Warning - this product is not for human or veterinary use.
View the Cayman Structure Database for chemical structure definitions for many Cayman products
Provide batch numbers separated by commas to download or request available product inserts, QC sheets, certificates of analysis, data pack, and GC-MS data.
1. Achkar, J., Xian, M., Zhao, H., et al. Biosynthesis of phloroglucinol J. Am. Chem. Soc. 127(15), 5332-5333 (2005).
2. Kang, K.A., KLee, K.H., Chae, S., et al. Cytoprotective effect of phloroglucinol on oxidative stress induced cell damage via catalase activation J. Cell. Biochem. 97(3), 609-620 (2006).
6. Kholová, J., Zindy, P., Malayee, S., et al. Component traits of plant water use are modulated by vapour pressure deficit in pearl millet (Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R.Br.) Func. Plant. Bio. 43, 423-437 (2016).
7. de Jesus B. Cavalcante, M., Escoute, J., Madeira, J.P., et al. Reactive oxygen species and cellular interactions between Mycosphaerella fijiensis and banana Trop. Plant. Biol. 4, 134-143 (2011).
8. Singh, I.P., Sidana, J., Bharate, S.B., et al. Phloroglucinol compounds of natural origin: Synthetic aspects Nat. Prod. Rep. 27(3), 393-416 (2010).
Inoue, S. Effects of 1,3,5-
Chassany, O., Bonaz, B., Bruley DES Varannes, S., et al. Acute exacerbation of pain in irritable bowel syndrome: efficacy of phloroglucinol/trimethylphloroglucinol. A randomized, double-
11. Tabassum, S., Afridi, B., and Aman, Z. Phloroglucinol for acceleration of labour: Double blind, randomized controlled trial J. Pak. Med. Assoc. 55(7), 270-273 (2005).